Whether you're accessing your account online or receiving a visit from a member of our team, we want you to feel safe and secure at all times.
If you're unsure about anyone claiming to be from South East Water, please call our dedicated bogus caller number on 0333 000 2244.
To make sure you know our staff are genuine, all of our employees wear distinctive uniforms and drive vehicles with our logo on to help you identify them as genuine. They also wear photographic identification badges and won’t mind you asking to see it.
Our password scheme
For extra peace of mind, we offer a password scheme to help protect you against bogus callers.
When any of our employees visit you, ask them to give you the password before you let them in. If the person at your door gives you the wrong password or doesn’t know your password, don’t let them in!
Only you and our genuine employees, who will carry photographic ID cards, will know what that password is.
If you're interested in putting a password on your account, please contact us so we can put this into place. Call our dedicated Bogus Caller line on 0333 000 2244. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am-7pm and Saturday
Water testing – don't be alarmed
In line with Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016, we carry out random tests on water collected from around 5,000 customers' homes each year. This is so we can be certain the water going to our customers' taps is safe to drink.
As these tests are random, we're not able to make an appointment before visiting. However, we still make sure all of our staff who carry out tests wear a company uniform and show their identity card.
Staying safe online
Fraudsters are using various techniques (normally over the telephone but increasingly via email), to trick people into allowing access to their account details.
Please be wary of any unsolicited emails or telephone calls claiming to be from us, and don't open attachments unless you are sure you know who the email is from.
You will only receive communication from us about your account. However, we do also work with different market research companies to gather feedback on our business to help us improve. You can find out more about that here.
If you receive a message claiming to be from us that looks like it could be a hoax, phishing or spam email, please delete it immediately, block the sender and disregard the message.
To help you stay safe online, we recommend that you:
- Install a reputable anti-virus product and keep it up to date
- Ensure all of your devices' operating systems are updated as and when the provider issues updates
- Never reveal usernames or passwords to others
- Keep strong passwords and use a different password for every online account you have
- Shred unwanted paperwork
- Check your bank statements regularly for unusual activity
- Don't share your personal information online
If you ever receive communication claiming to be from us that you're unsure about, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Here are some useful link to help you stay safe online:
- www.getsafeonline.org – Get Safe Online offers unbiased, factual and easy-to-understand information on online safety
- www.actionfraud.police.uk – Action Fraud is the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and internet crime
- www.cyberstreetwise.com – Be Cyber Streetwise is a cross-government campaign, funded by the National Cyber Security Programme, and delivered in partnership with the private and voluntary sectors. Its aim is to significantly improve the online safety behaviour and confidence of consumers and small businesses (SMEs)
- https://takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/ – Take Five is a campaign funded by FFA UK and the government to help consumers protect themselves from financial fraud
- www.met.police.uk – This handy booklet, produced by the Metropolitan Police, offers advice and guidance on the different scams being used to con people out of money
Help for priority customers
Please let us know if you or someone you know could be vulnerable without water and require extra assistance.
Registering for our free Priority Services means we'll be able to provide any additional support needed, and respond quickly to any queries.
It's easy to register online for Priority Services. Call our dedicated Customer Care Team on 0333 000 2468 or apply online here. All of our advisors are specially trained to offer confidential advice and support. Lines are open Monday to Friday between 8am - 7pm, and Saturdays between 8am and 1pm.