You may occasionally notice a change to the taste or odour of your drinking water.
Common reasons for this include:
Antiseptic or chlorine taste or smell
A very small amount of chlorine is used to disinfect the water we supply to you, and very occasionally you may be able to taste it. This can be avoided by storing water in the fridge overnight. Faulty washers can also cause an antiseptic taste.
Musty tastes or smells
This can be due to bacteria in your domestic plumbing system - disinfection of the system should help.
Domestic pipes made of copper or zinc can corrode and cause a metallic taste. This can be avoided by running the tap briefly if the water has been standing in the pipes overnight.
Some plastic pipes are made with anti-oxidants which can cause a lead-like taste. The only remedy is to replace the pipes.
Find out more:
If you experience any other taste/odour or if you remain concerned about your water quality, please call us on 0333 000 0002. Lines are open Mon-Fri 8am-7pm and Sat 8am-1pm.
Please click the stars above to rate this answer from 1 (worst) to 5 (best)
Comment on this answer
(please do not use this box for other enquiries)